Mother Nature is to Blame?

While en route to Chicago for my 50 minute layover, my plane was diverted due to dangerous weather conditions that had wrapped around the Chicago O’hare Airport. We landed in Minneapolis, which would’ve been a lovely place to visit under different circumstances. Our plane sat 1.5 miles away from the terminal, with another United plane next to us. 

Our pilot first told us that we could be sitting there for upwards of 4 hours.  20 minutes later, he came on the overhead speaker and said we would be wheels up in 30 minutes instead of several hours like he originally was told. The plane erupted in applause. 

That celebration was short lived though, because 30 minutes later we got another update from our pilot. I noticed he was on a phone call out on those travel steps that airports drive up with a truck. He seemed to be arguing, and then when he came on the plane I found out what for: the FAA was pulling him off the plane. He had exceeded the legal number of flight hours in a single day, so they had to send in an emergency rescue crew. This meant that we had to taxi to the terminal, deplane, and wait X number of hours till they arrived.  But where, do you think, that crew was coming from? 

Chicago. The place where we weren’t allowed to land because of the weather. So if planes weren’t allowed to land, that meant they weren’t allowed to fly. 

We were originally told the crew would arrive by 8:30pm.  They didn’t arrive till 10pm. So many people missed their connecting flights that they were demanding some kind of compensation, like a meal voucher or hotel voucher. However, they wouldn’t help us out beyond discounts since it was the fault of Mother Nature and not their airline. One woman was filming a United staff woman to prove this employee’s incompetence. I heard that employee say multiple times “I have no idea what’s going on.”  

The original cause for the delay was weather, then it was lack of communication and poor staff. I ended up being stuck at the Minneapolis  airport for 5 hours. I missed my original flight for Rome and got the last seat on a new flight for today, August 30. The Hyatt Regency Hotel became my home for the night after one hellish day of travel. Here’s hoping today goes better. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s